Monday, March 19, 2012

Monday in Lent 4: This glorious sacarament

Opening Sentence
Their sound has gone out into all lands, and their message to the ends of the world. Psalm 19:4

Commemoration: Joseph
O God, who from the family of your servant David raised up Joseph to be the guardian of your incarnate Son and the spouse of his virgin mother: Give us grace to imitate his uprightness of life and his obedience to your commands; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Psalter: Psalm 89:1-18

Lessons: Genesis 49:1-28, 1 Corinthians 10:14-11:1, Mark 7:24-37

My soul desires to receive Your Body, my heart desires to be made one with You. Come to me, Lord, and it is sufficient, for without You there is no comfort. Without You, I cannot be; without Your visitation, I cannot live. Therefore, it behooves me often to go to You and for my health to receive You, lest, if I were deprived of this heavenly meat, I should perhaps fail in the way. So You Yourself said, most merciful Jesus, as You were preaching to the people and healing them of their sickness: I will not let them return to their houses fasting, lest they fail by the way. Do with me, therefore, in like manner, You who have left Yourself in this glorious Sacrament for the comfort of all faithful people.

You are, in truth, the true nourishment of the soul, and he who worthily receives You will be partaker and heir of eternal glory. It is necessary for me, who so often offends, who soon grows dull and slow, to renew myself by frequent prayers and confessions, and to purify myself and kindle myself to alertness and fervor of spirit, lest perhaps by long abstinence from the Blessed Sacrament I fall away from such a holy purpose. The mind of man and woman is, from youth, proud and prone to evil, and unless this heavenly medicine gives help, they may soon fall from worse to worse. Therefore, Holy Communion draws a man away from evil and strengthens him in goodness.

Peace (A Communion Blessing from St. Joseph's Square)