Thursday, December 8, 2011

Compline

An order for Compline, adapted for individual use by Chip Altman, Lay Pastor of Worship and Outreach.

Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense, the lifting of up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

Psalm 124 Nisi quia Dominus

Confession of Sins, With a Prayer for Contrition and Pardon

Most merciful God, you who are of purer eyes than to behold iniquity, and have promised forgiveness to all those who confess and forsake their sins; I come before you in a humble sense of my own unworthiness, acknowledging my manifold transgressions of your righteous laws. But, gracious Father, who desires not the death of a sinner, look upon me, I beseech you, in mercy, and forgive me all my transgressions. Make me deeply sensible of the great evil of them; and work in me a hearty contrition; that I may obtain forgiveness at your hands, you who are ever ready to receive humble and penitent sinners; for the sake of your Son Jesus Christ, our only Saviour and Redeemer. Amen.

 Psalm 70 Deus, in adjutorium

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.

Psalm 91 Qui habitat

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.

Parable of the Ten Virgins

The kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them, but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. As the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and slept. But at midnight there was a cry, ‘Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.’ Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ But the wise answered, saying, ‘Since there will not be enough for us and for you, go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.’ And while they were going to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut. Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open to us.’ But he answered, ‘Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.’ Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour.

The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price. He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!

Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.

Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your Name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Prayer for Grace to Reform and Grow Better

And lest, through my own frailty, or the temptations which encompass me, I be drawn again into sin, Vouchsafe to me, I beseech you, the direction and assistance of your Holy Spirit. Reform whatever is amiss in the temper and disposition of my soul; that no unclean thoughts, unlawful designs, or inordinate desires, may rest there. Purge my heart from envy, hatred, and malice: that I may never suffer the sun to go down upon my wrath; but may always go to my rest in peace, charity, and good-will, with a conscience void of offence towards you, and towards men: That so I may be preserved pure and blameless, unto the coming of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

The Intercession

And accept, O Lord, my intercessions for all mankind. Let the light of your Gospel shine upon all nations; and may as many as have received it, live as becomes it. Be gracious unto your Church; and grant that every member of the same, in his vocation and ministry, may serve you faithfully. Bless all in authority over me; and so rule their hearts and strengthen their hands, that they may punish wickedness and vice, and maintain your true religion and virtue. Send down your blessings, temporal and spiritual, upon all my relations, friends, and neighbours. Reward all who have done me good, and pardon all those who have done or wish me evil, and give them repentance and better minds. Be merciful to all who are in any trouble; and do you, the God of pity, administer to them according to their several necessities; for his sake who went about doing good, your Son our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

The Thanksgiving

To my prayers, O Lord, I join my unfeigned thanks for all your mercies; for my being, my reason, and all other endowments and faculties of soul and body; for my health, friends, food, and raiment, and all the other comforts and conveniences of life. Above all, I adore your mercy in sending your only Son into the world, to redeem us from sin and eternal death, and in giving me the knowledge and sense of my duty towards you. I bless you for your patience with me, notwithstanding my many and great provocations; for all the directions, assistances, and comforts of your Holy Spirit; for your continual care watchful providence over me through the whole course of my life, and particularly for the mercies and benefits of the past day: beseeching you to continue these your blessings to me; and to give me grace to show my thankfulness in a sincere obedience to his laws, through whose merits and intercession we received them all, your Son our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

Prayer for God’s Protection Through the Night Following

In particular, I beseech you to continue your gracious protection to me this night. Defend me from all dangers and mischiefs, and from the fear of them; that I may enjoy such refreshing sleep as may fit me for the duties of the following day. Make me ever mindful of the time when I shall lie down in the dust; and grant me grace always to live in such a state, that I may never be afraid to die: so that, living and dying, I may be yours, through the merits and satisfaction of your Son Jesus Christ, in whose Name I offer up these my imperfect prayers. Amen.

Guide us waking, O Lord, and guard us sleeping; that awake we may watch with Christ, and asleep we may rest in peace.

Lord, you now have set your servant free
to go in peace as you have promised;
For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior,
whom you have prepared for all the world to see:
A Light to enlighten the nations,
and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit:
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

Guide us waking, O Lord, and guard us sleeping; that awake we may watch with Christ, and asleep we may rest in peace.

On the Example of the Blessed Virgin

O Christ, our God Incarnate, whose virgin Mother was blessed in bearing you, and blessed in keeping your word; grant us, who honor the exaltation of her lowliness, to follow the example of her devotion to your will, who lives, and reigns with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.

Dismissal 

O Lord God and my heavenly Father, I commend my body and soul into your hands, that in Christ, who is our life and resurrection, you may defend me from everlasting death, and give me that blessed and joyful life of immortality, and that he who is the true light may pour out the brightness of his grace into my heart, and preserve me both body and soul unto that day of the glorious resurrection, where the faithful, with joyful hearts, shall see you face to face, and forever reign with You in glory. Amen.